Friday, August 20, 2010

How do I setup my wireless router with my cable modem?

Recently we switched from DSL internet to Cable and with DSL we had the wireless router working just fine and we were able to use our laptop for work using a wireless adapter and a wireless adapter to play online video games on the PS2. Anyway, its a D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G 2.4GHz wireless broadband router. I connected two ethernet cords: one from the computer to the router, one from the router to the modem. The lights were flashing like they should be getting a connection but they weren't and I wasn't able to access the internet. We had purchased this router about 5 or so years ago but its worked fine, even though we've only had DSL. Please help me set this up. I called D-Link and they want me to call someone and pay to have this done. Thought it was too simple of a task, maybe just enter some numbers in the computer. Thought I'd ask here first. Please help! ThanksHow do I setup my wireless router with my cable modem?
When you switch from DSL to Cable you need to tell the router you are switching from the DSL Protocol, PPPOE, to a Cable Protocol, most likely Dynamic or Static IP.





Log into your router by typing 192.168.0.1 in your explorer window. When you are in the routers config page got the WAN section and select Dynamic IP from the selections and hit Apply.





The router should reboot and you should be connected to the internet.How do I setup my wireless router with my cable modem?
Here is how my Linksys is hooked up. The incoming cable internet is plugged into Internet slot on the back of the router from the cable modem The other cable runs from the #1 slot from the back of the router to the pc itself.


Also you may want to try (if you haven't allready) simply unplugging your cable modem and waiting a minute before plugging it back in. I'm no expert but I'm not sure your router will work with cable internet, you might need a Wireless-G Broadband Router.
You have to reset it first and then set it up for the new cable connection.





here's an install guide.





http://www.dlink.com/products/support.as鈥?/a>
  • antivirus protection
  • alloy necklace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment